Originally Posted by master of none
All great suggestions, not much to add.

Do make sure the eval is thorough and looks closely at the areas you mention. I'm sure you've had the hearing thing checked out medically, but just wanted to mention it. Have you looked at CAPD?

And also to say that one of the hallmarks of 2E is that kids can do really well on somethings when the stars are all aligned, and then totally fail at the same thing even when presented with it again. They cannot control the inconsistency and it can be very frustrating to work hard on something and have it turn out poorly, and it's confusing to put little effort into something and have it roundly praised. That's the beast that is 2E. Inconsistency.

Finally, regarding the teacher, not that this helps you, but I wonder if she is depressed. If maybe the principal gave her the "talent pool" class with the idea it would tax her less, and your dd is turning out taxing, and she just doesn't have the mental or physical energy to deal with it. (If she seems to be putting lots of energy into thwarting you, I take this back). The reason I bring it up is because if you have a negative depressed teacher, besides bringing everyone down, your approach has to be one that requires little processing or memory from her, lacks what can be interpreted as the parent dissatisfaction with her, but also recognizes that she won't hear positives either. Instead, working around her to solve the problems on your won is likely to bring much resistance. For example, you can go in and say, "the doctor said dd needs to sit here because she hears better on this side". Without expecting processing or analysis from the teacher. OR if she seems really depressed, you can push her to the point where she realizes she is too depressed to teach. And she'll either leave or they will give her help.

MON I've never heard of CAPD. Can you tell me more about it?
The teacher seems to think DD's inconsistency has more to do with interest. If DD wants to do it she will and will perform wonderfully. If she isn't interested she be careless. I agree to a point because DD is like this. Although I would not rule out 2e and have talked with the psych doing the eval that I want everything covered. DD appears to have consistency at home. With 2e would we see inconsistencies at home as well?
I want to clarify that I am still really new to a lot of this so my questioning is not undermining or not wanting to see the big picture. Rather, trying to make sense of it all.

You make a VERY excellent point about the teacher. Her father passed 2 days before we first met her at orientation, so about a week or so before school started. I was unaware of this at our first encounter. After finding out DH and I of course did not take our first impression seriously. We are now 2 months in and her behavior as been consistent. This could still be depression/grief, no doubt. What makes me wonder otherwise is the counselors story about her daughter having this teacher last year and people asking her why she would choose this teacher.