You already have tonnes of great suggestions but I'll add my experience to the mix.

We had a very similar experience with DS in grade 1. In the end it came down to two things for us -

1. poor teacher - I know she meant well and was trying but she didn't have the skills to deal with him and the 15 others in the class. We should have figured this out earlier than we did since only one of his two teachers was having issues. I volunteered in the class one morning a week the whole year and what sealed the deal was that I observed the huge turnaround that occurred in the class when there was substitute. It was night and day for all of the kids, not just mine.

2. LD - we had DS evaluated half way through grade one and he is 2e which explained a lot. Again, looking backward this should have been more obvious but neither DH or I dealt with LD's so we were kind of blinded. It was hard to wrap our heads around the fact that the kid that could do insanely smart things would then turn around and struggle writing a 3 word sentence. Then the challenge was figuring out when he was acting out because it was too easy (the gifted side), it was too hard (the LD side), or he was just being a "normal" 6 year old boy wink or all of the above. This will likely be something we'll be sorting out for the next 12 years but at least we have more information to help sort it out.

In the end I'm grateful that she was such a poor teacher and that we were pushed to do the full evaluation sooner than later. It made a lot of things make sense. Once we had the report we were then able to advocate and they took it very seriously rather than some crazy parents complaining. Although most of last year was write off (the teacher wasn't able to do much with the IEP but at least she had more compassion when it came to writing assignments) we now have a FANTASTIC teacher and haven't had issues this year. Not that we've fixed everything or that I expect this to last but at least we have a bit of a calm in the storm that has been our life with DS smile

Good luck!