Originally Posted by epoh
Is it possible to get her switched into one of the other classes in her same grade? I know some schools are cool with this and some not, but it might be worth asking.

No. I spoke with the principal about this. I got a one line email in return stating they do not grant these requests. She did not ask for further details or inquire about why I would want to switch. Maybe I'm over thinking it but I would think the appropriate response as a principal would be to dig a bit deeper and find out why the parent is requesting a change.

Originally Posted by madeinuk
she also refuses to acknowledge DD hearing loss (a hole in R ear with partial hearing loss and an ear drum that burst Monday from a severe ear infection, probably causing more hearing loss) as an issue since she performs well with some assignments and not with others.

I have always had a hearing impediment - almost totally deaf my right ear. That last bit about erratic performance is basically what got me labelled as borderline retarded by my primary school teachers.

Oh how I have proved them wrong since but man did getting hit every day suck! (corporal punishment was alive and well in those days).

Obviously if your DD hears the directions she can follow them and if she cannot then she cannot follow them! Get the hearing test, the IQ test and the achievement test. Hard facts + mother's intuition will be a far more potent combination.

Hearing test came back at between 20-40% (I forget the exact number) loss in R ear until it is patched. PEd said the ear drum that burst there is definitely hearing loss until it repairs itself and the infection is gone. IQ testing and a full eval is being done mid-late Nov. We made 2 visits to not overwhelm DD. Achievement testing is high 90's for most with a few 79 and above. I'm not sure how it is read or graded though so I couldn't say if she is low, moderate or high on those ones.
Anyone know how the STAR literacy is reviewed?