There was a Sesame street episode about some kids in 3rd world country that went around and found bits of wire and made these "cars" with one strong wire they held as they pushed them. They were being creative and building, and developing all these skills as they "played".

I remember raking leaves (part chore) with friends and we created lines on the lawn and made "homes". Figuring out blueprints. Except for bead assembly packages, my kid doesn't have a natural outlet like I did to use what is in the environment and create. The most is taking all the beach blankets and making tents on the beach.

Too many toys. Too many bought structures. And too much going to a ceramic place for bday parties and painting instead of just getting a set of paints and doing something without structure. Not that she hasn't but there is that element of just going out the back door, meet your friends and figure out how to spend a summer day. I hope there is more of that in Toronto, but I think the days are too overscheduled and getting worse as she gets older.