Let me repeat it again, though: the worst danger to your children absolutely, positively IS NOT random strangers attacking them on the streets. That is extremely rare, and has always been very rare. It is people they know and trust: their coaches, pastors, family friends, and babysitters. In terms of abductions, most children who are abducted are taken by noncustodial parents.

I maintain a healthy level of concern about sexual abuse and assault, but my awareness centers on the people we know, not the bogeyman in the bushes. Also, because I have this concern, I have, since they were 3 or 4, armed my children with the knowldge that their private areas are private and belong to them and what to do if anyone touches them there, shows them their own private parts, or talks to them in a way that feels inappropriate. We have gone over this many times. We also call body parts by their proper names and have a very open atmosphere about questions regarding sex. In addition, my kids are never required to hug anyone or give kisses to relatives if they don't want to. One rule I am STILL working on with them is the sovereign importance of the word STOP when engaging in roughhousing. STOP means STOP.

If you want to empower your kids against abuse, the best way to do so is not to constantly worry about who is lurking where but to talk to them about these issues. Your kids are going to go out into the world without you. You can't watch them every minute. Nor do they want you to.