Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Yeah, just interpretation-- a lot of parents use API (well, their own version) to justify all manner of helicopter behavior, though. We are believers in API, fwiw. Just not that vision of it that doesn't view the ultimate goal as having children who grow to become functional, independent adults. I don't know. I see parents who seem to wish that they could freeze their kids at 2-5yo. Yes, they're amazing at those ages, but honestly... I think my 13yo is pretty amazing, too, and I treasure seeing glimpses of the adult she is becoming. Those are just as precious as the sweet preschooler 'I love you mommy' kisses. To me, anyway.

I wonder if part of it is a reluctance to give up that position of omnipotence/asymmetric ability or power that we have when our kids are little?
I love that post. I find the whole parenting arms race totally asinine, because child-led parenting gives you the right answer most of the time.

Now, my in-laws are a case study in failure to launch. They're a family of children plagued by insecure attachment...intermittently ignored and henpecked. MIL is a classic Munchausen mother, though her helicoptering MO is more about facilitating her children's failure than securing success to fuel her own self-worth. She's all about downplaying children's abilities so she can be the "miracle teacher".

What is to give light must endure burning.