Hi Montofour

I agree that the examples are over the top. That being said, I still believe independent behavior as a rule has been hurt by an over informed, over anxious public. Myself included. My 10 year old does not walk to school (Large urban city), and probably won't until he is 12 or 13. We live 2-3 blocks from the school. He does not ride his bike alone in the street. I take him to his friend’s house, or they to ours. I am not alone in this behavior; the same is true of his friends and many of the children I know. I understand things have changed; a large part of social contact is not playing in the street, but playing online. None of my kids have ever gone to a BSA campout without me, I did allow my now 20 year old to go on an 8th grade trip across the country for a week, however on the same type of trip the year before my DW went with him. My parents either through non attention (Maybe) or less fear of danger (Most likely) let me stay out till dark when I was in elementary school. Granted I grew up mostly in a rural area, and did not have the internet and only 3-5 channels on TV. I like you do not tolerate laziness, I try to praise effort, I hold my children accountable, and I do allow and encourage risk. The helicopter parent is not a myth, I see it every day (I can name names, but I won't) I am glad to hear that you are not one. I do however believe that our parents and even their parents looked at raising children differently than we do. Each generation seems to change how they raise children, many in an effort to help them avoid the so called suffering they believed they experienced. I do believe a little hardship can be good for you, and that failure at a young age can make you stronger. Many parents I know protect their children from failure, from disappointment. I am a scout leader and we are big on the scouts doing for themselves, teaching themselves, and failing if needed. For many of the boys this is new, and it takes them (and sometimes their parents) some time to understand the philosophy of this. So although the article is a bit over the top, it does not change the truth that some of the changes of an involved parent can be a detriment when overdone.

Last edited by Edwin; 04/17/13 05:49 PM.