Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
I wonder if part of it is a reluctance to give up that position of omnipotence/asymmetric ability or power that we have when our kids are little?

Well, I suppose there have always been overbearing / overly enmeshed parents. But I'm thinking that the root of helicopter parenting is anxiety. People have been experiencing a lack of faith in our social institutions for decades. It's hard to trust that anyone else has your child's best interest in mind. Some parents find a bit of comfort by micromanaging the experiences of their children. It was an interesting assertion that none of us would be on this forum if we weren't helicopter parents to some degree. I wonder where the line is between involved and over-involved parents.

Also, parenting perfectionism... If research says that talking to your children throughout the day will increase their vocabulary, then doesn't that mean we should talk at them non-stop? That's the trouble I have with attachment parenting... So many parents feel that they have to conform to these standards to an extreme. I get sucked into this trap myself, and my DH has to talk me down and reassure me that I'm doing a good job and the children are thriving.