Originally Posted by squishys
Ooh, only two kids are abducted a week, and ONLY one is murdered a week- by a stranger. It's official: send your kids out to the safe streets.

How ridiculous that there is a site dedicated to encouraging parents to let their children roam free. They are so desperate to make parents feel safe to go against their natural instincts. Seriously, what is so bad about being with your kids? Is this site there to make parents feel less guilty because they may, out of necessity, need to let their kids be alone? I wonder about the creator of this site.

I didn't want to antagonize you. I was more curious why you felt so strongly that the world was more dangerous because most of what I have been reading tells me that violent crime is down. Not just on that site, I just thought it was a good summery of links. I don't necessary agree with everything this woman posts.

My option is that the world isn't more dangerous than it was 30 years ago, nor necessarily less. Just different.. just like your point that it's hard to compare kids now with kids 30 years ago.

Parts of the U.S are more dangerous and some a lot less. Kind of depends on how you qualify it. Plus sometimes we have traded one type of danger for another. For example parents drive kids to school in larger numbers than before partly because they worry about stranger abduction, traffic on city streets, busy lives, and school locations. These school parking lots have now becomes extremely dangerous with all the parents who are in a rush and don't follow safe procedures. Cell phones give parents a better idea of where there kids are, yet cause their own unique dangers in kids bulling and sexting.

As to the creator of this site, I did take a bit of a look at it. She isn't saying don't supervise your kids, just that we as a society have gone a bit overboard. And are we worrying about the right things. Two biggest child killers are car accidents and drowning. The age at which a child can be home alone, or walk a few blocks to the store, or leave home really really depends on the child & parent and situation.

Last edited by bluemagic; 01/30/14 02:49 AM.