I think that show Catch a Predator showed the increased risk for kids. Just like you have way more meth addicts now because it is more available. The Internet creates an addiction in some people that wouldn't have taken the risk before. I watched the show one Sunday when it was on MSNBC for a marathon. There was a cardiac surgeon, a big rabbi, people you would never thought have taken a risk like this before.
And there were more rules before and lines that people didn't cross. When I was a kid, my friend's parents were always Mr. & Mrs. So and so. Sex might happen in middle school but not as pervasive as it is now.
The familiarity and the early sexual activity of kids makes for a very different environment.

But it also makes us do way too much for our kids. I find sending her to camp has changed the paradigm where she wants to do more for herself. And I have started to back off. And give her a lot of time to hang and play in nature though I am in the vicinity, but giving her some space. Safe space.

You can give space and responsibility without putting them at risk.