Originally Posted by Grinity
I don't know if TX still offers gradeskips by testing, but they used to - worth checking into to at least get the base grade right.
I caught the principal at the school a few days before school started. �I took a few samples of worksheets and a cut and paste project I was sure the boy can easily replicate without instruction on a bad day, so as not to overstate his ability. �The principal looked at it and said, "they don't start testing for GT until kindergarten.". Then I said, well, he's a late birthday. �Can we do an early entry into pre-k for an advanced learner? �She said she'd look and I could look and if there was anything to file to make it happen she'd file the papers, but she'd never heard of it happening. �I called the district GT and the regional GT. �I called a cousin who's a shrink and she said her old college professor does nothing but administer tests for a living, so I know where to go when we need testing. �

Long story short. �He can take pre-k next year. �(he'll turn 4 next month-this year). �The following year he can take the test for credit by examination to skip kindergarten. �I'm not planning that far ahead to know if he should skip it or not. �
You can skip up to one grade per year. �I'm not sure he needs to be skipped and rushed. �That's one thing that has to be child-led. �"sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"** �I know, and even one of the district GT people I talked to said, "the school probably never will meet his educational needs.". I said, well, I already knew that. �I know about Aleks and Epgy and I have a good support group at the Davidson Public Gifted Forum. �

I think what I'm thinking is at least get the kids through elementary school here for the specific Laredo area culture that is important to the hubby. �We both believe education is a priority. �We will continue supplementing. �I will change the plan if the kids are crying, frustrated every day or bored and becoming behavior problems.
I plan to send the kids to school for social reasons. �It has nothing to do with the homeschooling and socialization myths. �I just think he'll like going to school. �

**"Life's a dance you learn as you go
Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow."
By Mr. John Michael Montgomery�

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar