I absolutely agree that they think and learn differently, and rapidly and have a constant need for stimulation. But, particularly at the HG level (which is what you mentioned) they won't all be leapers, and memory, particularly working memory, does impact the style with which a child learns. Davidson does accept children whose GAI puts them in the Davidson "PG" zone while their FSIQ does not, due to poor WMI or PSI.

Kids who don't necessarily have a gifted range WMI and PSI to match their VCI/PRI are quite possibly the ones whose parents may feel more sensitive about being accused of hothousing because we DO need to drill some things with our kids in order for them to have the basic skills to enable them to run with their deep thoughts.

I am probably sensitive to this because I have one who is 2E and one who is HG but does not tend to learn academics without some company and/or support. She learns fast and she has no tolerance for repetition, but while she learns some things by apparent osmosis others we do need to go over more than once and your wording implies that kids that don't have the memory to make their learning seem instantaneous are not infact HG or PG.

My HG daughter is more a one for deep and profound thinking than for the learning of facts for example. She's never seemed especially interested in collecting information. To be honest when we were asked what she was interested in when she started school this term DH and I couldn't pin point any one thing. But she spends A LOT of time exploring the real world and thinking deeply. There has been something markedly different about her since the day she was born. But she's not a leaper. Or perhaps her leaps are not necessarily in areas that are overtly academic (as yet).

Last edited by MumOfThree; 08/25/11 06:04 PM. Reason: To add that DD#2 is probably more likely to be a philosopher than a mathematician if her 5yr old self is anything to go by.