Originally Posted by GeoMamma
This doesn't mean I don't believe that some kdis do practically teach themselves, because the 'teaching' was so subtle, noone knew they were doing it. They were just living, you know?

I also don't think anyone tries to make me feel that way, I'm just really insecure, lol!

I really agree with you here, though I have never managed to express it very well and have perhaps caused offense to those who do have very self taught learners. I sometimes think about this in terms of my kids learning to talk. They have to do it mostly themselves, especially at the start, and I believe most parents think of their child as "teaching themselves" to talk - unless they end up in speech therapy - but in fact I believe the quality of their communication with their primary carer has got to have a significant impact.

I am better than average (possibly a lot better than average) at noticing that a baby is trying to talk, figuring out what they are saying and positively re-enforcing. It's not conscious, it's just how I am with babies, mostly because they fuss less if I can respond appropriately. Do I think of myself as hot housing learning to talk? No, I don't. I don't even think of myself as teaching speech. But the fact that I listen and respond to everything my kids say from babyhood probably has something to do with them being early talkers.