Originally Posted by annette
La Texican,

Even PG kids will be slow to learn boring facts or subjects they have little interest in. I'm sure there are PG kids on here that took months and months to learn their multiplication tables or other dreaded memorization tasks. wink

I should have wrote that disclaimer before talking about learning speeds.
I like the pop psychology about the strengths movement and finding your passion, as well. Because your life passion is not going to be in an area you find dry and boring. And it is most useful for parents to recognize when their child is passionate about something so the child can recognize the feeling when they're "in the zone". I also agree that if I wait until my son is seven instead of just under four to teach him first grade math books then he would learn it effortlessly in a few weeks rather than through daily lessons over several months. I think I'll help him with the dry boring parts though, I think he can handle cultivating his own passion. These aren't my final thoughts, it's very near the beginning because my kids are very young. I only made this thread because Amatrime asked me to move my post from her thread to it's own thread. I wasn't going to make my own thread because it's the State Law. It won't change this year to let him go. I just thought it was a great time because he's teaching himself all of those nursery rhymes off of his reading eggs subscription and I just thought it would be so cute if he could be doing that in the classroom.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar