Originally Posted by annette
Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
I did buy flashcards once when she was two and starting to read because I was excited by it, and the first time I showed them to her, she knew every word and so that was it for us.

That's how my teaching attempts go to. I find he already knew it or he learns it once and that's that.

I have to say that these debates are making me want to get out his addition flashcards. I bought some flashcards on sale thinking that we would use them eventually. I tried them out for fun and HE LOVED THEM. I felt so ridiculous using flashcards that I put them away again.

I'm smiling over the talk about flashcards. I hated them as a child and really hated when my mom "hothoused" me in forth grade when she was told by the teacher that I was doing my multiplication work at school by super-fast finger counting.

So, along comes DS. He's a mathy type who has loved numbers as long as I can recall. He would/still demand(s) counting at night instead of a story to relax.

I thought, "He will like flashcards!" Um, he does. Just not in the way tradition dictates they be used. His idea of flashcard use is to throw them around the room. Pick a few up and look at them and throw them down again. Maybe place all the 1 times cards in a row. Maybe place all the cards with an answer with "4's" in them in a row.

Is he learning? Yes. Just how he wants.