Once again, I never said that the primary reason people learn things is to avoid embarrassment. That's ridiculous, obviously. Most people learn because they are interested in the world around them and enjoy interacting with it. Your supposition was that some people are not interested in some things, and I responded by asserting that most people choose to learn at least a bit about even the topics that they are not interested in. Total ignorance is an uncomfortable state for most people. Not for you, obviously, but for most people. I, for instance, am not interested in football, but if I go to a football game I'm not going to sit there moaning to myself. I'm going to figure out the rules, follow along, and try my best to enjoy it.

What people want for their children is irrelevant. What children want for themselves is what matters to me. If my child would be happiest as a garbage collector, then I hope she chooses that career. It isn't unhealthy to want your child to do something that you think will make them happy, but it is unrealistic to assume that you have or should have control over what that will be.