Well, I guess the fact is that even if it is contradictory to unschooling, if it's what's best for your (or my) particular child, then it's what you should do, you know?

I know my child well enough to know that it would NOT be in his best interest to watch TV all day, every day. Some unschoolers would probably argue that I could, and he'd get bored with it eventually and would learn to self-regulate. It's possible that's true. But I wouldn't let him eat nothing but candy all day long either, even though eventually he'd probably want a carrot stick. I don't believe that unschooling means "unparenting," but if it does, then I'm not doing that.

You might be surprised how quickly your child wants to do educational things. If his brain has been starving from lack of challenge, he may be thrilled to get to do something that makes him think. That's how it was for my DS8. He was so excited to get to do something *hard* for a change that he was in hog heaven when we first started homeschooling. He didn't actually want to deschool. He was too excited to get to do something interesting. Once we brainstormed what he wanted to do for school so I could start researching, he wanted to get going on it.

Is there a reason you want to be an unschooler specifically?

Kriston