My basic assumptions in this conversation are:

1) More options for education are better than fewer.

2a) What works/doesn't work for one kid is only indicative of what works/doesn't work for that kid.

2b) In the same vein, my kid isn't "most kids."

Anecdotal evidence about one kid and grand sweeping generalizations about how "everyone" is impress me to exactly the same degree: that is, not at all. If you want to dismiss anecdotes and *my* experiences, then you have to provide some justification for what sounds like foundationless bias.

But if you make grand sweeping generalizations about how "everyone" is, than one kid (or 3) does provide evidence that your generalization does not hold true across the board.

3) Opinion is not evidence.

4) Making grand pronouncements about how bad a given educational option is because there are a few bad apples in it is illogical and not persuasive. By that reasoning, traditional schools should be dumped because abusive teachers exist. It's as meaningless to apply to unschooling as it is to apply to traditional schools.

5) The vast majority of homeschooling parents--even unschooling parents!--do not neglect their kids. That's discriminatory nastiness. Different is not automatically wrong, and 99%+ of parents want their kids to be educated. Really educated. Those parents work to be sure that their kids are educated, regardless of how they do that work. It make look different from the norm, but it can still be effective.

5) Not all kids will respond well to unschooling, just as not all respond well to Montessori or to sitting in a desk all day. These kids should try some other method. Responsible parents will make a change if something doesn't work.

6) Neglect should be corrected in all cases, regardless of the educational method being used.

I am not trying to persuade anyone to unschool. I don't do it! But I am deeply troubled by some of the attacks I see here. They seem unfounded and unfair.

Kriston