most of the time we have fun learning together and that makes up for the bad times.

I applaud you for jumping in! When he was 6, I thought homeschooling would be impossible, and a bad idea for us. Now at 11, I can see we may be there by next year. My job outside the home may make the situation unusual, but then we have an unusual situation!

She had the best of intentions, but she decided I was just lazy when I couldn�t learn to read and write. She pushed me until I broke. I became the only first grader in my school depressed to the point of being suicidal.

Sometimes I wonder if I try to intervene too much and then your comments remind me of why I'm doing this! Thanks for sharing. Please, keep talking and educating people about this! I don't think a lot of people really believe that a six year old could feel that depressed.

And master of none - [/b]Disorder of Written Expression![b] Those are the words I've been searching for!

One more comment - on another thread I started on VLBW babies I posted this link. For those interested, it discusses the effect of pain in early childhood on the development of the brain. I don't know how many of your kids had multiple medical interventions, but this really helps explain what I think my son is experiencing. Disorder of Written Expression, ADHD, and then add in what seem to be "overreaction" to any perceived threat of discomfort and/or pain.

http://www.nature.com/jp/journal/v23/n8/full/7211010a.html

Thanks everyone! This has been quite a week of research for me! I'll still be around, but probably a little less obsessive for a while.

Benny

Benny