Originally Posted by Mom2MrQ
Someone was kind enough to refer me to this old thread, and I would now like to revive it. The profile on the first two pages of this thread fits my ds7 perfectly. It would seem that NCmom2 and I have the same child. wink

If any of the OP's would be willing to share what has transpired in the two years since this thread was started, I would very much appreciate it.

Were any (new) diagnoses made after this time? Any therapies or techniques discovered that you found especially helpful? Have your child's issues improved, worsened, stayed the same, or morphed into something new?

Good thing I clicked the "watch topic" button on this thread. It was funny getting a notification on posts from several years ago smile

My DS is doing well. We did vision therapy for a year at great expense and effort. It did seem to help some. I don't see a date stamp on the original thread, so I don't totally remember where we were in DS's educational timeline at that point. We homeschooled for K, then sent him to a charter school for 1st. He just started 3rd at the same school and seems happy and reasonably challenged.

The school we ended up sending him to is based on an experiential educational philosophy. They do lots of hands on learning, PE, drama and music. The classrooms are multi-age and all academic subjects are ability grouped. The philosophy is very focused on seeing the whole child, seeing the individual child. DS has an IEP for his reading and writing, sees the OT once a week and has a two year grade skip for math. He plays trumpet in the school band and had a speaking part in last years play. I think he is happy. I have his sister in a serious full day gifted program. I occasionally wonder about moving him over there, but I think the output demands are too high. I did finally make them accept the his GAI scores and offer him a spot last year. But it was the PRINCIPAL of the thing. He is just as gifted as his sis, he just expresses it differently. I think they were relieved when I declined the spot.

We started meds for the ADHD last spring and they really, really help. I felt we had done behavior modification and therapy out the wazoo and he was still not really reading and having behavior problems nearly every day at school. After the meds, he never got another red or yellow on the behavior log and his reading jumped a year or maybe a year and half. Dunno if it was the meds, or if he was ready to make the leap, but he was suddenly a much happier, successful student. He has no side effects on the meds. He is the same vibrant, creative boy he always was, just able to focus better. They worked so well I am considering trying them.

So it is good. It has been hard work getting him to where he is, for both him and me. But I feel like we are in a good place for now.

How is it going for you DS? Is he at a regular school or do you homeschool?