Writing back to state that our ds8 has so many of these characteristics, it is astounding to read these descriptions. Also, I wanted to post a bit about what ds' tester/psychologist has concluded.
Ds' coding was 7, not 5, but he fits this picture you guys are describing:
great speller on tests (98% on WJ Spelling subtest), doesn't pay as much attention when spelling in written work. Doesn't like to write at length, though verbal ability is supposed to be a strength. Loves to draw, does so often and well.
Not a regular Joe when it comes to interests, has to work to like what the other kids like, and definitely has to work to be liked. GAI on wisc - 95th percentile, PSI - 21st percentile.

I posted on another thread some of this. After a thorough psychoeducational assessment the Dr stated that ds is capable of very high abstract understanding, but has processing speed deficiencies which will begin to affect his ability to perform in the classroom and most especially on timed tests and that a plan to accomodate this issue must be set up with the school. He stated that some of this processing speed problem is very likely related to depression - yes this was a real shocker to us. Ds' has social issues, part of why we were there. He hates that he isn't making friends as quickly and smoothly as he wants and is ending up directing his frustrations at himself; he also has anxiety over some school stuff. Benny's post is the only one I've read where the dr mentions anxiety.
Our dr never mentioned dysgraphia, but I will state that ds' did a pegboard test which times left and right hands. His left was slightly faster than his right, although the right hand was still average. The doctor asked about left handedness in our family. Dh and I are both lefties; Dr said there are about 25% of lefties who don't have language strictly on one side of the brain, but rather on both sides (true lefties don't always write with their left hands). I don't want to go too far down this path cause it gets really fuzzy, but he said that this would indicate other subtle differences are likely in the brain as well. Great, interesting differences, but differences nonetheless. Lefties in the family anyone?
Back to the main issue - depression and anxiety over social issues. Dr recommends focused professional social skills training, and continuing to assess ds mood to make sure it is improving. If not improving after a couple months, broader therapy is recommended. Also, he has given Dh and Ds a prescription for Boy Scouts smile. (a place to get one on one and with groups of other kids to practice new learned social skills and to make friends). Improvement in social outlook should equal improvement in mood and general outlook for ds, and has a good possibility of alleviating some of the processing slowness.

Hope all this is of help or at least of interest.