Originally Posted by LinCO
One of the recommendations I always make is "Have the student focus on improving the quality of shorter assignments."

Thanks for that input. We homeschool and that's what we've always done, but in January when he was re-tested, the psych really wanted us to push him to do more at one sitting. I questioned this since it was working for us, but he really thought we should push him more, but only a little at a time... stretch him in small increments, I guess.

Originally Posted by NCmom2
The school we ended up sending him to is based on an experiential educational philosophy. They do lots of hands on learning, PE, drama and music. The classrooms are multi-age and all academic subjects are ability grouped. The philosophy is very focused on seeing the whole child, seeing the individual child.

After the meds, he never got another red or yellow on the behavior log and his reading jumped a year or maybe a year and half.

He is the same vibrant, creative boy he always was, just able to focus better. They worked so well I am considering trying them.

How is it going for you DS? Is he at a regular school or do you homeschool?

Sorry for chopping your message to bits, NCmom2. Thanks so much for that reply. It really sounds as if you've done the hard work and that it's paying off. Your son's school sounds great. I'm really glad to hear that he's settling in and that he's happy.

I suspected that my ds had convergence insufficiency when he started covering one eye while reading. (I have it,too, so it jumped out at me.) He started wearing glasses two weeks ago, and we're trying some at-home vision therapy. I hope we see some improvement. The eye doc said, "He is really smart. He's compensated so well." I didn't get into the particulars of his smartness, but that compensating thing is what concerns me all the way around. I can see how excellent he is at compensating in all kinds of things. So far it seems as if this is going to work in his favor, but it has also hidden things from us that have caused a lot of strain and stress in the earlier years.

We do homeschool and I'm thankful for that. I'm just trying to figure out how to compact his curriculum right now, as we pull our own materials together because of issues with asynchrony and other glitches. These little glitches that pop up as we continue to school are so tiring because there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to them much of the time. That's what I was so excited to read the first few pages of this thread. Another huge issue for us that we are geographically isolated and do not have easy access to doctors, services, and activities. So, I spend hours online trying to mine information from others, and then I experiment and see if it's going to work for us.

In the past few months I've seen changes in my ds that make me think that things are taking a turn for the better; your post gives me hope that we'll get this figured out. smile Thanks!