Originally Posted by Arminius
At six, my scores on sections of that test ranged from 140 to 18, so I understand this issue. OT did help a lot, and my lowest scores have risen over the last ten years. One thing you should watch out for is teachers who think that a "smart kid" who has trouble with some things isn't trying. Sometimes well meaning teachers, especially older ones who don�t believe in or weren�t trained to deal with LD and things of that ilk, can be dangerous to twice exceptional kids. I had one of those when I was six. She had the best of intentions, but she decided I was just lazy when I couldn�t learn to read and write. She pushed me until I broke. I became the only first grader in my school depressed to the point of being suicidal.

That is so sad and it makes me angry. I think too many teachers at our public school have this attitude toward twice exceptional kids. I am thankful to the first grade teacher who made me understand that sending my son to our public school would almost be like child abuse and that I would have to homeschool. She didn't really even know me. She had no way of knowing if I could homeschool my child. She told me I could and I had to do it and I did.

I know I was impatient with my son a few times and told him to just try harder, but he knows I am trying to help him and most of the time we have fun learning together and that makes up for the bad times.