my son is also a very very good reader, both comprehension, word recognition, and speed. So sounds very much like your DS, master of none. I also am not totally sold on the VSL for my DS. Fits most but not all. Actually it fits him more and more every year if i look backwards upon his development. He was diagnosed "on the spectrum" very young. Development very uneven at first, then a huge surge from age 4 to 6. One of the characteristic that silverman lists for the gifted VSL is "late bloomer" so that fits. But i think he hasn't quite "bloomed" at 7 into the full profile that fits a gifted VSL..including his block design score was not particularly high (12).. or alternatively he has some type group of LDs involving convergence, dysgraphia (his handerwriting was very slow to get started but is not that bad now), etc as described by a few of you on the board. His social skills are remarkably typical. He has always had social interest but lacked social skills. but once learned they stick. his eye contact is slow to get going and then fine or even very intense because he is so interested in "everything". Does anyone out there have a good article with a checklist of characteristic to help differentiate highly gifted from Aspergers/Autism? I would like to show it to his teacher.

irene