Yes he's been doing keyboarding at school, but he hasn't really got it yet. Our older son (now 15) had terrible handwriting but really took off on his writing when he learned to keyboard - about the end of 4th grade. He wrote a book for an independent project in 6th grade and has never stopped.
My husband is a great writer and both kids have the imagination and the love of stories to do whatever they want with this. This summer we will be gone for a good portion of time (we're both teachers) and will write stories, draw pictures, swim, hike and explore. I think it is going to be exactly what we need, to get aware from the social and writing pressure of school.

I looked at convergence insufficiency and I don't think that fits. Part of SPD fit, but not enough. The spatial learner matches a lot.

I'm in a quandry right now. 11 yr old is in a gifted magnet school, about 100 kids grades 5-8. We've been in and talked to principal, two primary teachers, band teacher, about anxiety, self-esteem, dysgraphia and have had lots of support, except for the woman who teaches math. I think she's not convinced he belongs at the school. Anyway, a field trip is happening next week that involves two nights spent in a college dormitory. I'm going as a chaperone and so I have seen the room assignments. My son has been put in a room by himself - joining another room with two boys through the bathroom. An odd number of kids led to this. I hate to be the "my kid's different" kind of mom, but I think it entirely inappropriate that they chose the boy who is worried about not having friends, has anxiety, is less mature than the others, to put alone. I talked to son about it (even though the assignments are supposed to be top secret) and I think it will be okay. I just don't know if I should say more to this teacher (who was part of assigning rooms). In 5 weeks he's done with her as a teacher, but it seems so obvious to me that part of her job at a gifted school would be watching out for the kids who are "at risk" and all of these issues definitely put our son in the at risk category. My husband, high school teacher, thinks the rooming decision is inexcusable. My friends who know our son agree. How much stink do I make?

Objective opinions anyone?

benny

Benny