Originally Posted by AmyEJ
She blew off DDs complaints as typical or being as a result of my questioning her about what she was learning each day in school.

I still don't know exactly what happened to cause my DD to become so unhappy this school year. Could it have been because she picked up on my concern? I don't know. But I do know that my daughter went from being a kid who loved to learn and loved school to a child who begged me to homeschool her so that she could learn something she didn't know. I don't know if "bored" is really the best word to describe what she felt. She simply wasn't learning anything new, and had no academic satisfaction. That seemed to suck the life out of her, and I do think it's probably more related to her personality than to her GTness. Whatever the cause, though, I truly believe it would have been detrimental to have kept her in her 1st grade class without any acceleration.

I laugh when all the pamphlets come home from school telling you to ask everyday what your child is learning in school. That was definitely a no-no in our house. It was better not to focus on it. I would ask about recess, art or music instead. Also, it's very difficult to *trust* what DC is saying, at least mine. He told me about something he learned in class about the tongue I think. I said, "You see, you did do science today." he said, "That's not science, that's just telling. The teacher read it from a book." Their definitions of things are often very different from ours.

I have been so careful about not saying anything regarding academics to most people. I focus more on academic interests ie that his interests are science and history which are not the focus of school. I fear that I often paint DS in a very poor light and it's difficult when he's in ear shot but I don't really care what those people think of DS so I try to end the conversation as quickly as possible.

Yes, that was my DS...he constantly said, "I don't learn anything I don't already know." "I learned that 2 years ago." "Maybe I'll learn something new when I"m in highschool." Now, I knew there were things he didn't know. But they'd work on it for a week, have to do study cards, then have a review sheet, then have a test on it that was word for word the review sheet. If we had covered that at home, there would have been discussion about that topic over a book and we'd move on.