Originally Posted by incogneato
Both girls have totally different personalities. In fact, our DYS has such amazing attentionial focus and is so well balanced she was supposed to be the one that could withstand repetition and rote, "boring" tasks. And she did, however, this in itself caused some extreme damage to her that we are now having to unravel.

'Neato, this is what I was trying to get at with my original post. I don't think I used the right words in the title to get at the 'meat' of what my concerns were. I've been an inconsistent poster and I think I missed your DD's full story, so I'll do a search because I would love to read about her.

So now that I've finally clarified my thinking crazy... With my DS there are no real clear-cut red flags like unhappiness or acting out or even complaints of "boredom". Yet he's doing stuff in math that he knew how to do at age 4. Now obviously he's learning *something* since he hasn't had formal math instruction outisde of school and he does has a relative weakness in geometry - although the teacher's description of "struggling" was a little much considering he got a perfect score the end of unit test once he was taught.

I *know* there's no clear-cut answer for what is a good-enough situation. And I think we're preaching to the choir when we say every kid is different, can't generalize, etc. But I hope that doesn't discourage people from giving any strong opinions or sharing their extreme stories without having to worry about making someone question their own choices. For the record, when I ask for advice, I don't mind very strong opinions. I'm a big girl - I end up going with my gut feeling anyway. But my gut is stronger when I'm given the spectrum of opinions. Pontificate away! Get on soapboxes! It's all good smile. I've never gotten the feeling that anyone is judging another's parenting by being opinionated.