dottie wrote:

you've just touched on something I was feeling but couldn't put into words. My big "hot button" years ago (from another site) was that "PG children couldn't survive in public school". To me this meant one of two things...

1. DS wasn't PG (in hindsight, I don't really care about that, but this was right after his DYS acceptance and I was feeling a bit "imposterish") or

2. I was ruining him for even trying

Interesting! I felt that by saying my son was bored, that others felt uneasy/threatened b/c if my son was bored, then it meant their kid wasn't as smart (didn't know he was gifted back then) since their kid wasn't bored. AGain boils down to personality that I spoke of BUT also very, different schools! Or even very different teachers within the same school! Or even very different schools in the same district. The other K-2 school in our district will subject accelerate and send a kid to a higher grade but our school will not do it. The Principal's philosophy was "we don't challenge our kids." Yep, she said that. She also said, "We don't do science b/c we have too many holidays to celebrate and our school is too large." the other K-2 school in our district does more science. So schools can vary greatly even w/in the same district!

And I know of schools were my son would totally be challenged in the regular classroom. Those are dynamic, exciting schools where love of learning is important! I would never presume to tell anyone their child couldn't make it in a public school! I can't believe people were saying that to you!