G3: last year, my son WAS learning that he was a bad kid. He was. He told me that's what he was learning because of all the recesses he missed and how angry and frustrated he felt about school. And he's SOOOOO not a bad kid! My comment was about our situation and trying to define what I mean when talking about boredom, not something I was putting on you.

But I DO think it is vital to recognize that often kids don't tell us those things even if they feel them. I think it's important to say that even if a child is NOT acting out, is NOT expressing that small feeling (which is SUCH a great way of expressing it!), there may be a serious problem.

Apparently not what's up in your child's case, so probably a tangent that Dazey and I went off on. Sorry! But I can't hear "bored and acting out" and hear someone ask "does that matter?" and not make the point for general consumption that I feel VERY strongly that's a time to at least sit up and take notice. Too many people ignore it. Not you, but too many people. I'm just never going to let that go past, I'm afraid...

I'm totally with Dazey there: boredom for GT kids is huge sore spot for me. I think *much* damage is done by boredom and often goes unrecognized.

I definitely don't think it's a given that even all the parents who find their way here will take action in a damaging situation. I know a surprisingly large number of parents--double digits!--whose biggest regret about their GT kids is that they didn't take action sooner to prevent damage being done by boredom. They didn't trust themselves, and they kick themselves now. So when the topic of boredom and damage comes up, expect me to soapbox!

You have all been warned! wink

Kriston