I don't want to hijack the topic so we can move this to a new thread if need be.

G3 wrote:
I am also struggling with an unhappy kid at the moment and I wonder the same thing. What's the worst that can happen if a kid is bored for a while? I don't see that leading to catastrophic consequences or permanent damage. I'm trying to decide how hard to fight for more when what we have is at least pretty good.

I think it depends on the degree of boredom which of course depends on the kid. As we discussed in another thread, kids experience boredom differently and it's not always related to IQ.

What part of the day is boring? Just one subject? How many years has it been? My son *suffered* for 3years. I see the damage that was done. Do I know w/ 100% certainty that being under-challenged caused it or is it just personality developing? Nope but all I know is I sent an energetic, loved to learn, highly focused kid and when I pulled him out of 3rd grade he is unfocused, no mental stamina, low energy and that bright spark is gone. I do see it returning but it's been a tough several months.

Back on topic: on the subjects of workbooks. I think people get bent out of shape about workbooks. They picture a parent spending HOURS/day with the kid. I had workbooks around the house and if we happened to pick one up for 5min we did. DS liked the "what's wrong with this picture" type books, mazes, connect the dots but we also did tons of play-doh, were outdoors all day spring, fall, half of summer where we did tons of nature study. It's all about balance.

A great curriculum for prekers is FIAR. it's a list of quality books and it gives geography, science, math, social studies, relationships, history etc to point out while reading the book. Things like notice the shadows in the books and figure out where the sun would be located. Many of the books have themes such perseverance, loyalty, stewardship.