Originally Posted by peanutsmom
Does anyone here have PG kids at private gifted schools?
DS8 tested PG (145+ GAI) and just started his second year at a nearby private gifted school. So far, it's worked out well, he really loves it, and he gets along with his classmates splendidly. (He fits in so well, in fact, that it really makes me wonder if he's MG and not PG, despite his scores.)

His presumed LOG is certainly nothing I have shared with any other families. His teacher last year knows (she was his Davidson nominator), the school knows (as they required the IQ test to begin with), and that is it. It does leave me wondering, though, who else in the school might be PG. There are probably a handful of PG kids there, and I have spoken with one the parent of PG alumni and they were very happy (so I know it happens). But I will likely never know. While it's a little uncomfortable to keep secret, it would be even weirder to discuss it openly.

Peanutsmom, while I'm sure you're disappointed that he wasn't accepted at those GT schools (and yeah, the application process sucks), it's likely that they felt they couldn't provide an adequate education for him. Unfortunately many schools are not equipped to teach highly VS kids, and it's possible that they realize this. The shortcoming isn't your kid; it's their school. And it's likely the school feels this way, too.

I also know that a PG kid can do really well with appropriate acceleration / accommodations in many different types of schools, public or private. It really just depends on what the kid needs and how the schools can meet him where he's at.