This is a tough situation you're in, peanutsmom. Been there and still doing it. I know it's not easy with a 2e and with the uneven early development you've had. Part of it, you just don't know what's going to happen with a child until they're placed in a certain environment. There's a degree of uncertainty with these kids and how they're going to react.

I'm not sure how you can prevent your child from being bored in school and being ok with a neurotypical pace of school. My son's done it all -- public and private schools (both structured and unstructured), and un/homeschooling -- and I'm still dealing with it (keeping him engaged and not bored). Most schools, though, are not designed for pg kids. And even with neurotypical developing children, there's a certain level of boredom that comes with school. The trick is stem the boredom from becoming chronic or veering into depression.

My ds was born with some severe physical issues, severe SPD, and a laundry list of delays (gross, fine, visual, speech, etc) and other 'stuff'. Between 0 to 5 yrs old, he was in special needs and often surrounded by adults. By 5, he had been in two pre-k programs as a special needs student due to the physical issues, having a late bday and moving. At that point, we had absolutely ZERO idea or clue that ds would be pg or close to it. NONE. We always knew he was bright and very sensitive too. He took the OLSAT and didn't qualify for gifted services then.

However, at 5, he started to bounce off the walls, have ADHD and PDD symptoms with his pre-k program due to being completely bored at school. We placed him in a private school in a pre-k/k/1st grade classroom (the school was small and lumped the grades together). He rapidly accelerated within a matter of months through the pre-k/k/1st and into the 2nd/3rd grade curriculum. School told me that they could no longer accommodate him and said he might be pg. Well, that completely floored us because like I said - we had NO idea that was going to happen. NONE.

We put him into another private school for kindergarten (public school wanted to keep him in special needs). That was another small school. It was completely opposite to the first private school since it was unstructured and didn't have such a structured curriculum. Ds rapidly accelerated with his reading while he was there (from phonics to 6th grade within less than a yr), but he only lasted about a year at that school before he got depressed and melted.

Since ds was 6.5 yrs old, we've been homeschooling him. Yesterday, however, ds, now 10, wanted to try out school again -- though he's not going to last being there more than a few weeks or a month. This time he's at a public school and in 5th grade.

After the end of the 1st day in 5th grade, ds10 is already complaining about the pace of school (too slow and boring), curriculum (at 5th grade level), various school admin paperwork, etc. He's already frustrated and not happy about not having control over his learning environment or pace/level of education, which he would have with homeschooling.

Ds10 wanted to try out public school because he wanted to be 'normal' and since 90% of kids go to public school. He wants to be like everyone else. He also wants some of the social aspects that come more easily with school. Not sure, though, how much the social needs which he could get with the public school will outweigh his other needs which he will not get in public school.

Part of ds knows that he's not like everyone else and will never be -- but that part is very painful to accept. It was for me when I had to deal with it in the aftermath of the first private school. It's entirely normal or understandable to want your child to be 'normal' and to fit it. And it's normal for a child to have these feelings too. BUT, statistically speaking, having a child in the 99.9%, or close to it, is not the norm.

So now, I don't know how long ds is going to last in a 5th grade public school setting without any possibility of acceleration, being at a set pace/level to everyone else, and without having a full scale meltdown, depression, increase in ADHD and PDD symptoms, etc. A couple of weeks? A month? More? I don't know.

We may have to pull him again if he starts to really nosedive and get depressed. We did that with private school #2.

So, my advice is: 1) do not dismiss psychosomatic symptoms; 2) if you notice any psychosomatic symptoms, don't hesitant about intervening before they become they really escalate. See this SENG article - https://sengifted.org/archives/arti...octor-fit-in-the-care-of-gifted-children

Another thought - if there's a possibility in your area for part-time or flexi-school that might be an option. It's not an option for us, but I know it is in some areas.