Originally Posted by George C
Indigo,
I certainly don't mean to stoke the fires, but dusty has really rubbed me the wrong way,
You're relatively new here. It's good to have an expressive group in which people can share rather freely. Please do not let any posts get under your skin. People mean well. This is not the first thread which has discussed some aspect of comparing pg with gifted. When any of us feel riled, annoyed, or frustrated, we might want to word our posts in a way we would like to read them if they were written to us, because hurting anyone really hurts the gifted community.

first with an (IMO) blunt accusation that someone posting on this thread is claiming their child is PG when they haven't been tested (I have yet to actually find this poster)
I'll just say it is known to happen. There are also some whose child/ren test as high average, average, and/or low average, who claim PG. There are also those whose child/ren may take an IQ test without waiting the appropriate interval between tests thereby artificially boosting test scores. There are some who claim PG based on behaviors which may also indicate ASD (see article linked upthread).

This forum does change depending on the mix of posters at any given time, the dilemmas presented, and the types of responses provided. When the mix is more 2e, it may be less beneficial to someone whose child does not present with a second exceptionality.

The DYS qualifications have indeed changed, becoming less stringent. Additionally there have been posts celebrating students being admitted who've not met the published minimums. Selective enforcement of rules in any environment tends not to foster trust.

I'm left thinking that this person has an axe to grind.
Some may wish to cultivate understanding that a person in the gifted community is experiencing pain, which could beset any one of us.

This community has been so welcoming in so many ways. I don't want to see that change.
In general, any community benefits from self-monitoring, seeking clarification, holding other members accountable, etc.

It is my hope that my responses don't alienate, and if I have instead done so, then I do apologize.
I'm sure this feeling is shared by most if not all of the posters who "put ourselves out there"... we are trying to help make the world a better place, by helping parents of gifted children navigate the turbulent waters... without unnecessarily adding to the turbulence.