Originally Posted by 75west
other posters have already mentioned about what can happen with 2e kids and with testing.
What anonymous unknown posters may share as a general truth without knowing a person's particular child is possibly less diagnostic about that child than what a professional tester may have written about a testing experience... or multiple testing experiences.

FYI - Jake Barnett's IQ was tested at 170, which his mother wrote in the book, The Spark. Jake's on the autism spectrum, though, and his working memory has been tested in the 99.9%. If based solely on his IQ, I guess Jake technically wouldn't be considered pg.
An IQ of 170 is considered profoundly gifted. Hoagies has this handy chart. There are many wonderfully inspiring stories about this remarkable young man and the manner in which his mother homeschooled him, which led to his entering college at age 11.

Indigo - my son has been tested and scored in the 99.9% a few yrs after that early Olsat test when he did not qualify for gifted services. We had him tested a bunch of times after what happened at two private gifted schools.

"...did not qualify for gifted services"
Being identified as any level of gifted is different than qualifying for a gifted program or services. A person can be identified as gifted and yet not be a fit for a particular gifted program. Similarly, a student may be selected for a gifted program in a particular school and yet not be identified as gifted (typically top 2% of the population, IQ 130-132+).

"tested and scored in the 99.9%"
To clarify, was he tested and identified as profoundly gifted? Was the 99.9th percentile score which you mention received on a particular subtest? In overall IQ? Ability? Achievement? (For example, the IAS recommends tests which measure student ability (most recent Wechsler or Binet, Woodcock-Johnson... or CogAT), aptitude (above-level tests such as ITBS, EXPLORE, or ACT), and achievement (Wechsler Individual Achievement Test (WIAT) or Woodcock-Johnson Tests of Achievement (WJ-ACH).)

I went back to look at old posts because I don't keep everyone's situation straight and remember what the history looks like. Others may wish to do that as well, so they can best understand the source of the pg label for your son.

On this forum, all are accepted, supported, and encouraged regardless of level-of-gifted (LOG); There is no need to make embellished claims of a child's intellectual gifts.

peanutsmom - It is wonderful that your child excels with his martial arts, as in many ways our society and culture value athleticism over intellectual/academic pursuits.