I also want to say that I agree with almost everything that has been said in this thread, including the points that Val, indigo, and puffin have brought up.

Indigo, I apologize for taking a tangent into adult ASD. It's a slightly sensitive area for me, as I'm reasonably familiar with that community and know that there are many adults that do not have a diagnosis that will you with 100% confidence that they are on the autism spectrum (contrary to what was suggested in this thread). That said, I think adults generally have other motives for self identifying (i.e., for personal enlightenment) than parents of children do (i.e., labels don't really matter but they need services which require a label.)

Originally Posted by indigo
1) What was your reason for testing?
2) Do the test results which you received help you in understanding, raising, and advocating for your child?
We tested as part of an admission requirement to a gifted program. We honestly had no idea if he would even meet the program's minimum requirement.

The test results have absolutely helped us understand, raise, and advocate for our DS. Without question. Testing is valuable to gain insight. And I think that's what most of you are saying, too.