Originally Posted by Pemberley
Maybe this means their attorney if no one else has pointed out that they are not handling this well...

That seems like a likely scenario.

I have a question - we received an IEP in the mail.

Is this an IEP draft, a proposed IEP, or a copy of one that you signed last year? If your signature is not on it, it's not finished.

Obviously we do not agree with their proposed placement or think the anxiety related goals are appropriate given the blindside about the placement that was delivered after that part was discussed. Apparently there are different interpretations regarding how the 5 day rule is applied in the summer. We don't want to inadvertently appear to consent to the IEP by not responding or respond In a way that comes back to bite us later. What do you think of saying "We received the IEP draft. Since the meeting ended abruptly and we did not have the opportunity to discuss all outstanding issues we can not accept this draft as final. We therefore request another meeting to be held prior to the start school in order to develop a complete IEP."

What does Consultant say? My feeling is that requesting a meeting would be appropriate. You need to iron out language specifying exactly what accommodations are needed (including the color chart) and get agreement from all parties about that, in writing. The IEP is the appropriate vehicle for that sort of thing.

While typing got a call from therapist. Insurance is a no-go. Apparently they are not accepting new clinicians at this time. This could be A LOT of money but I guess we don't really have a choice. Consultant is hoping district will cover the cost but who knows anymore...

Rats. I would not hold out hope for district to pay for this kind of service.

However, clinician may be so good you are willing to work with him/her for six months or so, get the mileage you need, and then stop. Or s/he may be able to immediately recommend the right person to see who is covered by insurance. You are not locked in, you are just making forward steps on a path to help.

DeeDee