Originally Posted by deacongirl
I have been a teacher. I have seen teachers in action successfully manage classroom discipline issues without a color chart. And if a teacher can't come up with an alternative, and a principal can't support it, then they have no business being in public education. This is really not unreasonable or unrealistic to ask for.

Hear, hear, deacongirl.

The school is required to give her an appropriate education. That is, not what the school or any given teacher feels like doing, but what is deemed by the team (including parents and outside professionals) to be appropriate to that child. Let us assume that most teachers are professionals who understand the requirements of the Individuals with Disabilities Act.

Obviously, amob, no classroom of children behaves perfectly all the time; yet if PP's DD were seated next to a kid who has a record of serious behavior problems, and who troubles her constantly, it would make her anxiety worse. I see no reason not to accommodate this as a seating preference and as a consideration for reasonable classroom assignment, even as her parents simultaneously seek out therapy to help her cope better.

Amob, we had teachers who didn't feel like changing anything for our DS. They decided he was the problem. That was our worst year. He has since proven that with the right environment, and not unreasonable accommodations, he can be very successful in mainstream classrooms.

DeeDee