I'm updating to say that things are going pretty well. smile The new school is not perfect (what is?) but I am very pleased with the project-based focus and the exciting field trips and guest speakers. She is definitely being challenged in writing, and stimulated, at least, in most other subjects. (Not sure about reading--interestingly, it doesn't seem to be being taught much, with the main activity being silent reading at their level.) She will be allowed to advance to 3rd-grade math soon, after completing the 2nd grade curriculum in half a year. She could do more, but this year is revealing to me that I did mean what I said last year when she was spinning her wheels--I don't need her to be taught at her exact level in everything. A modicum of challenge and excitement is enough for me. Before, we had zippo. I'd like to see a few papers coming home with something other than 100%s, but really, it's an improvement for darn sure. She also has access to some great after-school clubs that are really enjoyable.

(And now, because I have to worry about something, I am suddenly getting pretty concerned about DS, who seemed more on the MG side and also a LOT more on the easygoing side than his sister, until fairly recently. All of a sudden things are looking more...well...urgent. If he tests in, he can also attend this school, but not till 2nd grade.)

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/12/12 08:04 AM.