We may be doing a last minute switch to the gifted magnet school in our district. I just discovered that their new principal "gets it" and the 3rd grade class will have 10 gifted kids mixed with proficient and high-achieving students. When we took a tour there last year, we found a 2nd/3rd grade combo class with an overwhelmed teacher who had the full spectrum of kids including a handful of gifted kids and even some ESL students.

Given the fact that DD's current school's principal refuses to cluster gifted kids in order to ensure that every teacher has the same mix of students, it seems like a no-brainer. At least it will increase DD's odds of finding some peers, and who knows, maybe the more competitive environment will inspire her to engage her brain at school.

Update: Today (8/23) we decided to move DD to the new school that is more gifted-friendly. I confirmed that nothing is changing at her beloved home school. I sure hate to take her away from what is familiar but this is for the best for now.

Last edited by Pru; 08/23/11 03:13 PM. Reason: Added new item to bottom