Originally Posted by ultramarina
She did get a first progress report recently and it's straight Excellents across the board. I guess that's good--I mean, it would be weird to be disappointed in that. Right?

Pessimist alert: Call me weird then, but disappointed is how I felt when our DS was getting all the highest scores on his reports at our last school. I think our kids need to get a couple "needs work" or "almost there" type reports, so we know that they have something to learn. How can you learn how to learn if you already know the materials?

As for 3rd grade for our DS7, I think things are going well so far (he's at a school for HG kids). It seems like they're getting down to business this year. There's a lot more writing, and the spelling words are crazy hard (requiring studying, which we're still trying to figure out how to do best). The teacher sends home everything they do in class, which is great fun. DS is writing a lot of funny stories, and they get to do really cool activities (like comparisons of Egyptian and Chinese math systems). And DS has only forgotten his lunchbox once this year (compared to nearly every day last year). Yeah! I still don't think I'll ever have a kid who looks forward to school, but I think he likes it OK.

An interesting tidbit: They took the MAP tests again, and I told DS that his scores went up a bit since the spring, which was great since we didn't really do anything academic all summer. He said that he hoped his scores were still the highest in the class. He knew that his scores were the highest last year before we moved him to the HG school; we told him to show him that he needed something more challenging. I didn't really think he cared about that, but apparently he does. I told him that it was unlikely that he still had the highest scores in every subject at the new school, where he's the youngest kid, even among the grade skippers, and that it's great that he's in a group of kids that are learning near the same levels. It was interesting to me that he wanted to have the top scores.