Update:

DD is in week 2 of 3rd grade. Here is a first: she has expressed to both me and her teacher that she is having difficulty hearing the teacher speak in the classroom. Her desk was towards the back and has been moved. (However, last year they moved desks all the time so it's not like this was just something that cropped up due to desk placement.) I don't know if this teacher has a soft voice or something. I also wonder if DD was simply not paying attention and said "I couldn't hear you" as an excuse, but I don't want to be too dismissive. Her teacher seemed to believe her; when I contacted her, she said she had already put a message through to the school to see about testing. As explained above, we also have wondered about CAPD--this has also been discussed with the teacher prior to school starting.

What should I be asking to have done?

Is it better to go through the school or our insurance?

ETA: this summer has clarified some things for me. DD had a very socially successful summer. She had an amazingly great time at sleepaway camp and made numerous new friends. She got a lot of calls for playdates and was very socially active; in fact, other kids seem to be seeking her out a lot. There's just no way you can say that this kid is having problems making friends or is socially isolated, though she also has a strong personality and is not always liked by other kids with strong personalities. So this really big piece of the puzzle for ASD just isn't there. We continue to see major emotional lability, though. I am more and more thinking that the depression diagnosis is the correct one. frown

Last edited by ultramarina; 08/29/12 07:10 AM.