Originally Posted by Iucounu
And I think there's reason for hope that discrimination today at upper-tier universities is heavily on the wane, when a Harvard president resigns under intense pressure after daring to suggest that innate gender-based differences might explain differences in performance.

The resignation of Dr Summers was a travesty. He cited the data to support his claim. And Harvard embarrassed itself. This is just another reason to question if Harvard is really open to intellectual inquiry and debate or is an "Old Boys network" - it certainly reacted like one.

Originally Posted by quaz
While it may be more likely, I can emphatically state it still exists. I find this especially the case in technical companies, even when it is not 'overt', it is there.

DW pretty much agrees with all of this. "Its still an old boys network." She reminded me of this book and the times she outperformed her male colleagues yet was ignored.

http://www.amazon.com/Tough-Choices-Memoir-Carly-Fiorina/dp/159184133X

Originally Posted by Iucounu
Discrimination is going to be hidden much of the time when it is present, and I agree that such reports are troubling.

Outside of the military, virtually no other organizations have an objective process to train and advance people. Its left up to whim and vanity most of the time.