Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Bostonian, I'd still argue that such surveys and longitudinal studies are just not asking the right questions.

While it is certainly true that women are punished professionally for becoming parents (and really, for even possessing the potential, truth be told), they aren't the only ones that suffer from these cultural norms. Men who do choose to spend time with their children as caregivers are often punished MORE than if their female partners had done so.
Excellent way to put it, asking the wrong questions is the problem I see.

In a department consisting of 90 men and 10 women, where during the downsizing, they removed 1 man and 6 women, there just wasn't enough women left behind to find out what would have happened to the women in this case. There were no complaints from the woman as they were more than happy not to be in the environment.

I learned what it was like to be a single male parent. They allowed me to not be on call due to my situation. But it was more than clear they did not want me around after I was in this situation. I wish they would have included me in the downsizing list as at least I would have had a payout rather than leave on my own later.

The small minority of us who found the environment rather disturbing coined a name for the other group. One day my male manager said the ABCs are at it again. Found out is meant All Boys Club.