I also loved your post Stacey. I really like the common core. The questions are much more thought provoking and it has actually been easier for is to differentiate because a lot of the homework has been "make up your own question using this concept" type of things. I do feel so bad for all of the teachers who want to make a difference for each kid because it is just soooo much work with implementing the new standards and worrying about testing and just having so much going on all at once. Hopefully in the next few years it will get easier.

I have been very very lucky. We have been to 3 different private schools between 2 of my kids, and the public school my son is now in has been amazing for us. It took a bit of work in the beginning, but he is now grade skipped and accelerated an extra year in math with the support of the principal and all the teachers he has had so far. His current teacher just rearranged her class schedule for him without us even asking because she didn't think it was fair for him to miss social studies and have to do the work on his own later. After reading all the struggles others have had and having been there myself when my son was in preK, I just feel so proud of our school for stepping up and doing so much on their own to help my son. I love them. My daughter will start there next year hopefully with a grade skip.

There are some good school out there and there are great teachers and great principals. It's just too bad that it's the exception and not the norm. If I could hug our school I would.