Over the years we have met a few teachers who are very aware of the importance of challenging the advanced students, but I feel that either their hands are tied or they don't have the proper training to do so anyways. But we appreciate them nonetheless for thinking for these students.

However, I'd say the majority of the teachers that we've interacted with are quite content with what they do and feel that the parents are the unreasonable ones. I think they truly don't understand the needs of the advanced students. For example, our district uses Everyday Math as well, and parents have heard so many times that "but EDM has built-in enrichment for every chapter and we are doing those. Why are you still not satisfied?".

Things seem to be worse in middle school than in elementary school. I think it's partly because of the larger class size in middle school. But it's also partly because there is a bit of built-in acceleration in middle school (in math only). So the school feels that it has already done with accommodating advanced students.