Originally Posted by blackcat
Here's another question. Do schools care about kids? I mean in general, not individual teachers (which i'm sure some of them do).

In theory they will all say that they do. I mean people tend to enter teaching with noble intentions. They love children. They want to make a difference. Then they get caught up in minutia and lose sight of their real purpose. Education gets lost and they focus on the rubric, the protocol, the strategies. Unfortunately this approach will only work with kids who have the most basic of needs. A kid from an uneducated household without the supports in place may do ok in this environment. Once again the kids from this forum, no probably not.

Oh and DH is a professor. Over the years many of his colleagues have made clear that education majors are very sincere and they tend to be "nice" kids. However they are also the least bright. In other words the lowest common denominator may also be at work in the selection process concerning who enters the profession to begin with.