Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by ultramarina
I don't really have one opinion of "the public school system." It's too large of an entity. Even within one district--even within one school--my children's experiences have varied dramatically from year to year.

I agree completely. It's why I only answered the question with regard to how I feel it's servicing my specific DD's needs at this specific time. My response could change tomorrow.

The high school I attended would have, in NCLB days, been rated a failure. Yet except for my horrendous physics/calculus teacher, I received a high-quality education there. Based on that experience, I don't see any value in even rating public education at an institutional level, because individual outcomes will be so... individual.

I feel the same. It seems clear to me that a lot of things need to change in the public school system as a whole, but it's impossible for me to judge based on my experiences. Right now, I am thrilled that the MN public school system offers open enrollment, so my child can go to any school as long as there is room. This has created happy islands of magnet programs, where like-minded children (I guess they're not really misfit toys) can be challenged and learn with agemates. We have been very lucky to find such an island within reasonable driving distance for our DS. The teachers there have been given more flexibility in designing curriculum, and it makes all the difference. (Hey, they let the teachers teach!)

Ask me next year, when my DS's HG program ends. I'm sure my view will be much darker.