Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Well, that doesn't say much about what happens when a child needs different CONTENT, though, does it? Which goes a long way to explaining why teachers resent and fear inquisitive and bright children more than they ever have before (and it was never awesome, let's face it). A mirroring effect can be observed in meetings with school administrators-- bright and inquisitive parents are not seen as "helpful partners" but as PROBLEMS to be "solved" or "eliminated."

^This on both counts. In my opinion, most teachers don't like smart kids and administrators view their equally smart parents as a problem.

Intelligence is not desirable or attractive to the masses.

I have held these viewpoints since I sent my three year old who could read, write and do basic math to preschool, and he was clearly despised by his teacher. It was obvious she preferred kids who would sit quietly and color not those who wanted to read to the other kids.

As for my opinion of public school, let's just say it is not positive. I will go one step further and say the same goes for my opinion of the education system as a whole. I think it used to be true that you could buy a better education through a private school. I don't think this is the case anymore.

I say this based on my observation of the education my kids have received in comparison to the education I received years ago. Times have changed, and not necessarily for the better.