I post this as a mom of a gifted child and also as a public school teacher. I am very grateful for the magnet program that my daughter participates in, but I do not expect it to meet every need for her. It gives her not only a wonderful foundation, but extends her and provides her such an amazing peer group. But like every child, mine is unique and no one knows her and all her interests that she wants to pursue like I do. That's where I come in. It is my job to provide her additional help where she is challenged and it is my job to enable her to pursue her interests in such a way that enhances her education and her whole being. Absolutely, the teacher can help with weaknesses and use her strengths to extend her, but a teacher is just part of the picture.

As a teacher, I can tell you that it is incredibly challenging to differentiate in current constraints. Funding has been cut so much that we have zero planning time. It is a struggle to keep our heads above water and adapt to common core standards (which I love.) I come in to work super early in the morning so that I can work on planning and paperwork, attend IEP, 504 and Student Study Team meetings. I work through recess and lunch with students, providing them extra help (be it emotional or academic).

Unless you have ever been a special education teacher it is very challenging to imagine the inherent ADD that goes along with the job. There is always something or someone requiring your attention, be it something to be done, or a student, fellow teacher, parent, aide or administrator. It is very challenging to work through the day without a quiet moment. There is literally always someone in your face at all times. I consider special education to be very similar to gifted education, just at another end of the spectrum. I adore working with my students and I love my relationships with both them and their parents.

In a perfect world teachers would have scheduled times for planning that would help them better prepare lessons that include differentiation. It would help provide us time to communicate not only with other teachers, but with you. And lastly, it would provide us with more one on one time with your children.

To be honest, I send out e-mails regularly to parents in which I tell them that their child is not doing required work and I ask them to please monitor and help ensure homework does get done at home. If a child needs additional help in understanding, we offer it. I cannot tutor a child after school with their homework simply because a parent does not. After school I turn into a mother of my own child. That's why I put my extra work in on the front end. However, most schools do offer Homework Clubs etc. to help on this. Unfortunately, most struggling students and their parents do not take advantage of it.

Education is a partnership. Public schools are not perfect and nor are many parents. You figure out what works for your family in the best interests of your child and you do it. It's not a one-way street. A little love goes a long way - in so many different ways.

Last edited by edina; 10/26/13 05:05 PM.