Originally Posted by blackcat
Here's another question. Do schools care about kids? I mean in general, not individual teachers (which i'm sure some of them do).

Here, no. You get the odd teacher or principal who is invested in students, but most seem to be paper-pushing automatons who are more concerned with gaining union seniority than teaching.

I don't say this to paint all teachers badly. There are many committed members of the teaching profession who are outstanding at what they do and who make children's lives better every day by their work. However, in my province, the qualified keep getting muzzled by the greedy near-retirees who want to keep new blood and new ideas out of the profession. Cronyism at its worst, from the top down.

Happily, this works in my favour starting a school because it will allow me to attract the most motivated, innovative teachers of the bunch.

ETA: I attended a private high school, and the messaging couldn't have been more different than in the public system. Each student was treated as a valuable legacy. I can only think of one or two teachers who weren't exceptional in their knowledge, commitment to maintaining a high standard, or dedication to students on a personal level. Most of the teaching staff *volunteered* time to run extra-curricular activities. I think that speaks volumes.

What is to give light must endure burning.